The Mole is a medium-sized tunneling vehicle used for underground missions. Once arrived at the danger zone, it exits its pod and is transported to the drilling location by a trolley with caterpillar tracks. A lifting ramp then tips it into position to commence drilling.
An additional set of caterpillar tracks on either side of the vehicle allows it to return to the surface independently, for retrieval. It's equipped with a thermal-imaging system, inside the drill-bit, to locate buried individuals.
- Length: 60 feet
- Width: 12 feet
- Weight: 12 tons
- Maximum drilling speed: 15 mph
- Power: Nuclear-fusion powered electric motors
- Engine: 1000bhp Rocket Propellant
- Length: 38 feet
- Width: 24 feet
- Weight: 18 tons
- Top speed: 50 mph
- Power: 1,000 bhp high-compression dual-turbine engine
Pit of Peril
Virgil had been lowered into the pit where the Army vehicle Sidewinder lay trapped, to place explosive changes prescribed by Brains. Scott then used the Mole to tunnel down into the side of the pit, to bring his brother back to the surface.
City of Fire
After the Firefly cleared a path through the burning rubble, Scott and Virgil used the Mole to drill down to the underground passage-ways of the collapsed Thompson Tower building, to rescue the trapped Carter family.
The Duchess Assignment
The Mole is amongst several pod vehicles on view in TB2's pod bay.
Cross-sections (Cutaway Drawings)
As far as is known, at least four cutaway drawings of the Mole exist. three of which were illustrated by Graham Bleathman. The first appeared in Thunderbirds Annual 1967 by an unknown artist, the following were all by Graham Bleathman.
- Main article: History of the Cutaway Drawings (Classic Thunderbirds)
- The Mole's drill turns the wrong way when excavating.
- The caterpillar tracks on its sides move in the wrong direction when it surfaces.
- Its controls look exactly like the Mobile Control Centre.
- A serial number of 56156 can be seen on the top rear port side.
- The Mole is carried in Pod 5 in Pit of Peril and Pod 3 in City of Fire and The Duchess Assignment.
- Throughout its rescues the Mole has always been present with another Pod Vehicle.
- The Mole is destroyed in the comic-book story City of Doom, when it falls into a boiling pit of lava.